Friday, April 25, 2014

How to Deal With Allocation and Controversy



Blog Post: Allocation

I am performing a Life-cycle Assessment on laptops to determine how sustainable eBooks are compared to textbooks. One of the many modifiers to the energy cost of an e-reader I have encountered is allocation. You use a computer to check your email, read your eBooks, research scholarly papers, and read web comics for fun. If I want to evaluate how much impact the use of eBooks has, I divide the time spent using the computer by the time spent on reading eBooks. 

Because this varies so widely, in my paper I am going to estimate the time spent on the computer every day for me. I will probably spend about 10 hours a day on the computer, with 2 of those being spent looking at my eBooks for class. Thus I spend one fifth of my time, and the production cost of the computer, on eBooks 
This is why I can divide the CO2 emitted by making my computer by five, but not my paper textbooks. The books are only useful as textbooks and as paperweights. Keep in mind that these numbers are estimates.

I am not the first to do this type of study. There is a 263-page Masters thesis study on this topic as well as several other life-cycle assessments of the paper industry, laptops, e-readers, etc .
 

I found that sometimes the different lifecycle assessments present conflicting information even though they use a similar method and have the same topic. This is often the case when one study is published by an advocacy organization and another study is published by an industry lobby group. This was also true of studies on textbook cost and average lifespan, such as “Exposing the Textbook Industry: How Publishers’ Pricing Tactics Drive Up the Cost of College Textbooks,” http://www.studentpirgs.org/reports/exposing-textbook-industry
A study released by the Public Interest Research Group. This study inspired rebuttals by two industry groups: National Association of College Stores (NACS) http://www.ed.gov/about/bdscomm/list/acsfa/txtbkpres/hershmanremarks.pdf and the Association of American Publishers http://www.ed.gov/about/bdscomm/list/acsfa/txtbkpres/schroedersup.pdf

Controversy flourishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment